On 19 July 2017 at 18:27, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yep, part of the same enhancements that added free form H, F, D, & P
specs...

this works
myproc();
if someflag = *ON;
C GOTO MYTAG
endif;
myvar = 1 + 2;

Hm. When was that introduced? I've been going by this:

<https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/We13116a562db_467e_bcd4_882013aec57a/page/Fully%20free-form%20RPG%20-%20new%20in%207.1%20and%207.2>

I mean, it was written by Barbara. Can't get more authoritative than
that! We don't have fully free on our system. (Though there is hope
we'll move to 7.3 before 7.1 is officially out of support. All the
current RPG enhancements are included on 7.3, right? No additional
PTFs needed?)

I'm old in RPG years. That means I come to the table with a set of
memories that lots of people don't. Which means that in my arrogance
and vanity, I don't always set the table properly before inviting
others for a meal. You all know where we keep the MFCU, right?

Enough jocularity for the nonce. There are multiple flavours of 'free
form' RPG. They do not have distinguishing names, nor separate,
unique version numbers. IBM chose to release early and often, and
that meant delivery of new functionality via PTF. Not a cume, not a
TR, not a release. That makes it... not simple to answer a perfectly
reasonable question like 'when did feature X go out into the world?'

Anyway, the varieties from distant to recent:
Extended Factor 2. This was like... C IF QTY * PRICE >
CRLIMIT. There was a C in 6, an Op code, and then free form starting
at Factor 2 out to column 80. H, F, E, I, and O specs were still
mandatory.

/free. This was a big one. No more C in column 6 - you could put
your code anywhere from column 7-80. Some opcodes were not carried
forward to this syntax, notably GOTO and the various MOVE
permutations. H, F, D, I, and O specs were still mandatory.

/free plus free H, F, D, and P specs. This is the one being discussed
here (I think). This was introduced as a PTF in the 7.1 TR7 time
frame. https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/We13116a562db_467e_bcd4_882013aec57a/page/New%20with%20IBM%20i%207.1%20TR%207%20-%20Free-form%20H%2C%20F%2C%20D%20and%20P%20statements%20for%20RPG
You can mix and match 'specs' identified by column 6 and 'statements'
(vocabulary is a killer) like ctl-opt. No /free needed... the
compiler can tell what's what. January 2014.

**free. This is the latest. It totally eliminates specs identified
by column 6. That is, you can't use them at all. No mixing of 'free'
with any earlier version. It's all-free, every line. That came out
with a /different/ PTF which Barbara referenced in the link you
posted.

PTF details

7.1:
SI58136 (compiler, target-release *CURRENT only)
DB2 group PTF SF99701 level 38 (SQL precompiler)

7.2:
SI58137 (compiler, target-release *CURRENT)
SI58110 (compiler, target-release *PRV)

Nov 2015.

--buck