For example, they *did* drop GOTO from free-form syntax. Are you saying
you wished they did more of that?

Yes.

I wonder what it would take to make RPG *thrive* though. If you mean
taking RPG and turning it into something like Rust or Go, but keeping all
the great integration with DB2 (and the IBM i in general), we're talking
some serious, serious development resources.

Exactly. The amount of effort to bring RPG (language, utility, and
community) to a place where it can meet the majority of business needs is
so far off that it isn't worth the effort.

There is no IBM i news that would make me happier than to learn that IBM
has been in secret talks with Per Gummedal to take over iSeriesPython,
update it to Python 3, and fix a lot of the niggling issues. There is such
a great base to work with there (both in terms of code and ideas). But I
guess IBM would see it as cannibalizing the effort they already put into
their PASE Pythons.

I think the important thing to focus on is ~why~ we'd want additional ILE
language ports. Maybe the weaknesses of PASE languages could be addressed.
For example, if we like the integrated nature of RPG+DB2, well, maybe we
should stop trying to port languages to ILE and instead fix the DB2 issues
(which holds promise given the work Tony Cairns has been doing on a variety
of OSS repos).

On final note, I want to be careful not to ruin someone's fun. If creating
arrays in RPG floats your boat, I say have at it. I debated posting at all
because it's not my thread. Sorry for hijacking.

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>