Welcome!

Check out this tutorial by IBM RPG compiler team member Barbara Morris
"Coding in Free-Form RPG IV - a beginner's tutorial"
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/We13116a562db_467e_bcd4_882013aec57a/page/Coding%20in%20Free-Form%20RPG%20IV%20-%20a%20beginner%27s%20tutorial

You might also be interested in Liam Allan, another fresh yound developer
who was new to the IBM i and RPG.
https://www.itjungle.com/2016/08/08/tfh080816-story03/
He's got a tutorial here: https://github.com/WorksOfBarry/rpg-intro

Additionally
Wikipedia has a nice intro.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RPG

The IBM manuals you want are online, but make sure you're looking at RPG IV
aka ILE RPG. RPG/400 is RPG III and has been outdated since 1994.

Here's where to start
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzahg/rzahgrpgcode.htm

Also be sure to read the ILE concepts manual
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/ilec/ilecmain.htm

Think of ILE (Integrated Language Environment) as an equivalent to
Microsoft's .NET CLE.
Another term to know is "Service Programs (*SRVPGM)" think of them as a DLL.

The best and worst thing about RPG in general is that IBM is so committed
to forward compatibility. You could conceivably have a brand new POWER 8
server running IBM i v7.3 (released last year) running RPG II, RPG III and
RPG IV programs! Though at this point RPG II is a stretch. You'll also find
so called RPG IV programs that are really RPG III programs run through the
Convert RPG Source (CVTRPGSRC) command so that the RPG IV compiler will
compile them. Personally I consider these RPG III. If they happen to make
use of a few RPG IV features, then I'd consider them RPG III+.

To me, a true RPG IV program doesn't use the obsolete yet still allowed
stuff left over from RPG III. A good way to ensure this is to use "free
format" instead of the original "fix format". However, there's still an
issue...monolithic programs. You can write a monolithic 32,000 line RPG IV
program with all variables global just like you can with RPG III.

This is where ILE comes in. An ILE RPG program or *SRVPGM uses procedures
with local variables. Procedures are contained in modules and can be
public, protected, or private to the module. Modules can have protected
global variables accessible only to procedures in the module. It's not OO,
but you get some of the benefits without the all the complexity.

You'll find many who use RPG IV and ILE RPG interchangeably; But to me
there's a difference. RPG IV is the just the syntax; ILE is more about the
structure of your application.

In the same vein, you'll find two different editors for RPG. The obsolete
green screen host based source utility (SEU) and the PC based GUI Rational
Developer for i (RDi) that's built on Eclipse.
http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/dev-ibm-i

Lastly, as far as training:
- http://www.bmeyers.net/elearning
- http://www.partner400.com/
- http://www.mantatech.com/manta/subject.htm
- http://www.systemideveloper.com/conferences.html
- http://common.org/

There's plenty more, those are some of the big ones off the top of my head.

Charles