I'm going to completely disagree with the others - XML-iNTO is perfect for this and a hell of a lot less work than XML-SAX. But you have to get the DS right.

Your basic problem is, as you no doubt suspected, that your DS are wrong. The DS "shape" has to match the XML. So it looks to me as if your nesting levels are not deep enough. Rather than try and fix yours I just recoded from the XML. I _think_ my version is right - but not tested - if I have time I'll do that because it needs a couple of count fields by the look of it (for OptionalChannelData for example). I see you specified datasubf and countprefix but didn't seem to use either of the, IN fact I don't think datasubf is needed unless you have not shown all of the XML.

It is one of the reasons I love the new free-form data declarations - so much easier. By the way - I suggest that when using templates you clearly identify them as such in their name - I follow IBM's convention and add _T to the name. But with the new nesting support I don't need templates as I can simply code what I need.

dcl-ds MeterReadingDocument Qualified;
dcl-ds ImportExportParameters;
CreateResubmitFile char(n);
dcl-ds DataFormat;