I've only ever found two work-arounds.

One work-around was to leave the single-row as-is and add a mouse-click on a row that would display a window with additional information. I like that solution when there is a bunch of information for the user. Load the extra data as hidden fields in the subfile record, and when the row is clicked, the data is instantly available for display in a window.

The other work-around was cumbersome but worked. Define the subfile row as one alpha field. Load all the data for the subfile into an array. Then load the formatted data into the 1-field subfile record from the array. Each array item loads 1, 2, or more subfile rows, depending on the user's request. What I did like about this solution was that each subfile row could be formatted for the data in that row. It works especially well with header data followed by several rows of detail data. Formatted rows <http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-simple-/SQL_FAQ_Pages/sql_faq_pages.html>

Also, where there is a one-to-many relation I have instead used two side by side subfiles where a click in the first subfile displays that row's detail data in the second subfile. Not exactly what you are looking for, but sometimes it'll work. side by side subfiles <http://www.martinvt.com/Subfiles/Two_Subfiles/two_subfiles.html>