Bradley V. Stone
www.bvstools.com
Native IBM i e-Mail solutions for Microsoft Office 365, Gmail, or any Cloud
Provider!

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM, James H. H. Lampert <
jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/19/17, 5:36 AM, Henrik Rützou wrote:

I think that you have to work with different programming languages
intensivly to see RPG's little ackward syntax.

I have worked with probably more distinct programming languages than most
of the people on this List -- BASIC (IBM VS-BASIC, Radio Shack Level I,
various M$ BASICs), FORTRAN (IBM G1, WATFIV, CDC Cyber FORTRAN, M$ FORTRAN
for TRS-80), COBOL, Pascal, PL/I (CDC Cyber PL/I, CDC ANSI PL/I, and IBM
PL/I for AS/400) LISP, Assembler (PDP-11 and 8086), Modula-2, C, QBASIC
(Mac M$ BASIC, QuickBASIC and QBX; distinct from BASIC because they do NOT
use line numbers), MI, RPG (both OPM and ILE), CL (both OPM and ILE),
Smalltalk, and Java.

Wow nice list! I see your list and raise you Ada. ;) But that was only
in college.

I self-taught on the TRS-80 (then a Tandy 1000... wow was that thing nice!)
using BASIC... Then I'd go to friends houses and mess up their Apple IIe's
with Apple-BASIC since it was so similar.. lol.. No more Oregon Trail for
you!

I haven't started using Free format definitions in RPG yet (most things I
compile back to releases that don't support it), but I have to say when I
see them at a quick glance I think "ewww..."

But then again, I haven't used them yet or looked at them long enough to
soak things in. I'm sure once I start using them they will be more
familiar. Time will tell.