In regards to invalid XML, what generates that? I would think that iPhones
transform emoji into valid character data before posting it to a server -
that a server process handles it before generating XML. If the character
data is invalid, shouldn't it be fixed in the process that generates it,
rather than the process that receives it?

The following example shows a couple character sequences that display
smiley faces in browsers:

http://www.w3schools.com/charsets/tryit.asp?deci=9786

Wouldn't it be a matter of a process monitoring for such character steams,
received from say iPhones?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>