It's been a while since I looked at this (and I could be off my rocker),
but here's what I recall

There are two CCSID values for a job, CCSID and default CCSID. If the job
CCSID is set to 65535, then the default CCSID will be set according to the
job language ID (LANGID). For most US shops, that makes it 37. I believe
that 37 would then be used whenever a CCSID is required--as in the IFS.
I've run with my job CCSID at 65535 and files are always opened and
converted correctly.

This leads me to think either the OP has a CCSID or LANGID that is set
wrong or there's another issue at play. Do a DSPJOB command and look at
the 'job definition attributes'--option 2. Page down to about the forth
page on that and see your 'coded character set identifier' values. You can
also put help on these fields and read the text--although that can still
leave you scratching your head.

When I create scripts for SFTP, I do it in either QShell or the PASE shell
(QP2SHELL/QP2TERM) and simply pass in whatever is needed to create the
script correctly. (Of course I'm always doing other processing in the
shell, so it's no big deal to add the code to generate the script there.)

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International
www.TheWay.org

"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 02/11/2017 01:00:01
PM:

From: rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
----- Message from aec <cfuture@xxxxxxxxxxx> on Sat, 11 Feb 2017 09:
41:42 -0500 -----

"RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)"
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: ERROR 3490 (ECONVERT; "Conversion Error") on an IFS open???

Do you mean the lines didn't write correctly?

And/or is it that the CR-LF (carriage return-line feed ) is not writing
correctly?

As mentioned, your job should not be running with 65535 CCSID,, but 37,
IIRC. I had that problem with getting what looked like garbage in my IFS

file.

aec