On 06-Oct-2016 18:16 -0500, Peter Dow wrote:
[…]
EVAL ptrPARMS
PTRPARMS = SPP:F9DA52F7BE001830

EVAL PARMS
@FUNCTION OF PARMS = '**'
@MODE OF PARMS = '*'
@ORDYR OF PARMS = ******
@ORDNO OF PARMS = ********
@STIME OF PARMS = ******
@INVNO OF PARMS = ********
@CUSNO OF PARMS = ********
@CUSID OF PARMS = **********
@CUSPMTID OF PARMS = **********
@AMOUNT OF PARMS = **********
@AUTCD OF PARMS = '********** '
@MERCHID OF PARMS = '********** '

EVAL PARMS:X 111
Variable not available to display.

I am unsure why the debugger chooses to show the asterisks instead of just *consistently* issuing the msg CPF8E28 "Variable not available to display."; i.e. for both attempts at the EVAL, I would expect the same error from the debugger, rather than the former showing just asterisks [for strings, shown delimited in apostrophes]. That effect gives the appearance, that the data found at that pointer, is all asterisks.

But the original data from the PASA of the invoker is really there, and the debugger is disallowing you to access the data. Refer to my prior post which explains how to get access to the data via the debugger; by using a standalone variable, into which the data from PARMS is copied in a line of code that is added to the RPG program.