I got a working version, but to figure out more about this, I copied the non-working versions as

TESTPTR1 (clle)and the relevant code

DCL VAR(&PARMS) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(111)
DCL VAR(&PTRPARMS) TYPE(*PTR)
CHGVAR VAR(&PTRPARMS) VALUE(%ADDR(&PARMS))
CALL PGM(TESTPTR2) PARM(&RC &CALLER &PTRPARMS)

TESTPTR2 (SQLRPGLE)
d TESTPTR2 pi
d @RETURNCODE 2a
d @CALLER 10a
d ptrPARMS *

d PARMS e ds extname(OB0050PR) based(ptrPARMS)

I put TESTPTR1 in debug and pressed F10 to step through it.

CALL TESTPTR1

When it got to the CALL of TESTPTR2:

EVAL &ptrparms
&PTRPARMS = SPP:F9DA52F7BE001830

EVAL &PARMS
&PARMS =
....5...10...15...20...25...30...35...40...45...50...55...60
1 'AOB ? á? î Ê& 000000100xxxxxxxxxxyyyy'
61 'yyyyyyaa '

When it got to the first statement of subroutine *INZSR in TESTPTR2:

EVAL ptrPARMS
PTRPARMS = SPP:F9DA52F7BE001830

EVAL PARMS
@FUNCTION OF PARMS = '**'