Hi Dave,

On 8/22/2016 10:33 AM, dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, why doesn't the SQL precompiler support variable names
with more than one qualifier?

I asked an IBMer who worked with the SQL precompiler that question back in 2007. Alas, the answer I got was not very satisfying, but here it is... (Edited to remove other, unrelated discussion)

Scott,
Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. The
limitation that you mention is unfortunately out of my hands. It
is due to the lack of support in the SQL syntax. Multiple levels
of qualification are not supported in any language. I will pass on
this request to the proper people. I've asked for support for this
two before and I'll continue to push for it.

[Scott: My original example referenced order.shipto.name and
order.billto.name as examples.]

Even though SQL does not support multiple levels of qualification,
you can still use the data structures in your example. If you only
use shipto.name and billto.name, the precompiler will fully qualify
the variable in the generated code. This only works if there is only
one shipto and billto data structure.