On 15-Jul-2016 01:57 -0500, Nihat Ezer wrote:
The CCSID of the file (/tmp/trial.xml) was 819
then I changed it to 820 <<SNIP>>

A CCSID value [e.g. 819] has a specific meaning; the value is not just any [randomly] chosen small-integer counting number [e.g. having added one to 819, to get 820, does not make the latter number a valid CCSID]. And the assignment of a CCSID attribute [to a stream file] does not necessarily also convert the data; e.g. the request to CHGATR (/tmp/trial.xml) (*CCSID) (820) does not change the data in any way [nor could that be the effect, as 820 does not represent an valid encoding with a Code Page and Character Set].

The CCSID 819 is described as ISO 8859-1 ASCII here:
[http://www.ibm.com/software/globalization/ccsid/ccsid819.html]

The supposed CCSID value of 820, using that same URL naming effects, not surprisingly, a 404-page-not-found error:
[http://www.ibm.com/software/globalization/ccsid/ccsid820.html]

The specific CCSID assigned to a file must [errr... would in most cases, best] reflect what is the actual data stored in the file; the value must be supported, to effect worthwhile results. To know what value to assign for the CCSID attribute of a file requires knowing what data was placed in the file [in hex code points] and what value also may be implied, by knowing how the data was placed into the file and whence the data came.

<<SNIP>>
Here are some system values that might be related to the issue:
QCCSID: 65535
QCHRID
Character ID . . . . . : 1152
Code page . . . . . . : 1026
QCNTRYID: TR
QLANGID: TRK
QLOCALE: /QSYS.LIB/EN_US.LOCALE
<<SNIP>>

Not to imply any of the above values are germane to the topic [most of which I had snipped, given the glaring usage issue expressed in the opening sentence, and that the errors shown would have been a direct consequence], but I offer:

The Code Page Identifier 1026 is for pre-euro currency symbol; thus likely, 1155 is preferable [by now]. Similarly, the Character Set Identifier 01378 with Euro supplants 1152. Lacking a specific system CCSID, each user profile should have their appropriate language CCSID assigned, and the CCSID value of 1155 with the euro included, supplants 1026.

Seems odd that an otherwise Turkish language setup [i.e. default of Country Identifier (CNTRYID) and Language Identifier (LANGID) for users] would have the default of the USEnglish Locale; lacking a Turkish Locale in the system value, best for any user to verify an appropriate Locale, much like alluded above for their CCSID.