From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:33 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SQL Naming Conventions

On 27 February 2016 at 13:43, Mike Jones <mike.jones.sysdev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IMO, for new development, use of the long names should be enforced by
standards / code review.

If 'standards / code review' means that the standards were designed and agreed by the developers, I totally agree. I have never - and I mean never - seen 'standards forced down from on high to succeed.
What happens is the developers end up making the ugliest possible code while strictly following the rule of the law.

Developers should have efficient tools to fetch a the list of columns
from a table, so they can copy/paste them instead of keying them.

This is a great idea; what do you use?
--buck