But that is what XML-INTO would do _much_ more simply Richard. I already commented that that would be one approach.

XML-SAX is really best suited when you only want a portion of the data. It is much more work and far more error prone than XML-INTO because it requires a number of techniques that most RPGers are not familiar with. Call-back processing for one, dynamic stack processing for another.

It can also be useful in the example you quoted where an arbitrary XML file is to be broken up into matching tokens. But to me it makes no sense for the OPs requirement. XML-INTO is far easier for him to use.