To: "RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rory Hewitt <rory.hewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/02/2015 09:29AM
Subject: Re: RDi vs SEU (was: Standard source file names?)

Buck,

Let's not forget that in the early days, IDE's were big and bloated (well,
they still are) and *slow*, and they were the only other option.

I used SEU and loved it (but I also used lots of extra nifty features that
many people didn't), and every time I tried an alternative, it was just TOO
DAMN SLOW. Horribly slow to load the file from the AS/400, reasonably fast
to edit, slow to write back to the AS/400. Yes, I'm deliberately using
"AS/400" here...

Basically, the benefits never outweighed the drawbacks to me. I could get
more done with SEU. But then, I knew the codebase well enough that I knew
where to look to find the files and definitions that I needed.

Plus I was writing in PL/I a lot of the time, and only SEU had (and still
has) a PL/I syntax-checker.

Rory