Von: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von John Yeung
Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. März 2015 09:38
An: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Betreff: Re: Standard source file names?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Thomas Raddatz <thomas.raddatz@xxxxxx> wrote:
Too bad, that most CL commands do not accept a stream file path name to compile the object. Also the object description lacks an attribute where the stream file name could be saved as a reference to the source file. I wished, IBM would change that.

Hm. Well, CRTBNDRPG and CRPRPGMOD both accept SRCSTMF. I tried it just now on an extremely simple program. It works. But I didn't see anything with DSPOBJD or DSPPGM which indicated the stream file which was used, so yeah, that's one downside.

I actually have a project which has all kinds of stuff (CL, RPG, Python, documentation in Markdown), and I've been using Mercurial as my version control. I don't use RDi. I've been keeping the CL and RPG stuff in source physical files and just downloading the date and data fields to my PC whenever I change them. (In other words, I keep local copies of the source as stream files for version control purposes, but I actually edit the source PFs, not IFS stream files.) It's definitely on the clunky and annoying side, but it's manageable for small to medium projects, in my opinion.

More significantly for most folks on this list: I am actually pretty happy with the way it's working out for me, so I can only imagine that something similar to my scheme would be even better using RDi and git.

John Y.