Hi, Brian:

I agree with everything you said.

I was saying that we already have some of the "technology" needed to store this kind of information within the compiled objects -- in its current implementation, that is the "PGMINFO(*PCML *MODULE)" feature -- but I did also mention that this feature "caters for" Java ...

What I have in mind would be to store information equivalent to what is gleaned by the compilers when parsing the contents of an include member, but it would need to be stored in a "language independent" format that can be easily consumed by any of the ILE language compilers ... So, for example, if I create a *MODULE with ILE C/400, this information would need to be able to be recognized and used by the ILE COBOL compiler, or the ILE RPG IV compiler, or even the ILE CL compiler.

All the best,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 3/25/2015 11:54 AM, Brian May wrote:
While I don't disagree that signatures and binding would be greatly improved if parameters were taken into account (overloading anyone?), we should avoid PCML in the solutions.

PCML is a nice idea, but it lacks support for commonly used data types in RPG applications. Things such as Dates, Times, Timestamps, Graphic, procedure pointers, and certain variations of integers are just not supported in PCML.

Brian May
Solutions Architect
Profound Logic Software
http://www.profoundlogic.com