I don't know that it would be your situation, but at times I've
experienced a very similar thing. A common problem for me is that I have a
DSPPGM still showing on the program so there's an object lock and the
compiler can't replace the program object. It doesn't sound like your
problem because that should eventually time-out.

If you do look at the Job Run Attributes (DSPJOB, option 3) of the compile
job, does the CPU time used climb or is it static. If it's static, you
could check the Job Locks (DSPJOB, option 12) and scroll through looking
to see if there's a lock in a WAIT status. Of course, all this is moot if
reverting to a previous version of the source works.

Just some thoughts . . .

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International
www.TheWay.org

"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/20/2014 07:54:53
AM:
------------------------------

message: 4
date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:30:33 +0000
from: Alan Cassidy <ACassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: SQLRPGLE pre-compiler seems to be looping?

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am having a very strange compile-time experience.

Usually my RPGLE and SQLRPGLE compiles finish in low single-digit
seconds, less than 10 seconds as long as I remember on our locally-
resident (next office over) IBM i.

I now have an CRTSQLRPGI compile that seems to be stuck, with the
views of the Program Stack for the job appearing to show an infinite
looping in the SQL pre-compiler.

Here is the exact command, with variable names changed to reflect
the values. I've compiled this exact set of parameter values for the
command 100s or 1000s of times just the last month or two, nothing
like this. The SQL is good (as far as my repeated views can tell),
but I changed a couple of things I thought might do it.

The command:

CRTSQLRPGI
OBJ(&PGMLIB/&PGM)
SRCFILE( &SRCLIB/&SRCFILE ) SRCMBR( &SRCMBR )
COMMIT(*NONE) OBJTYPE( *PGM )
CLOSQLCSR(*ENDMOD)
OUTPUT(*PRINT) REPLACE(*YES)
COMPILEOPT('DBGVIEW(*LIST)
BNDDIR( QC2LE ERABNDDIR UQCPUB )
DFTACTGRP(*NO) ACTGRP( *NEW )')

I use "embedded logic" for the programs, the first thing to
consider, but it just runs the command as shown. Note that I have
also run the command from PDM option 14 and changed the parameter
values accordingly, with the same effect, so it's not the embedded
logic, or running XCREATEC as a command processing program, or
anything in the embedded code or EMBEDDED program.. Also, after I
force-end it, the pre-compiler listing shows all the source code to
the last line, and nothing else.

The program stack follows. Note that the programs in the stack are
not changing, but statement numbers are looping through the same
list for the last entry:

Type Program Statement Procedure
1 QCMD QSYS /01C8
XCREATEC ALAN _CL_PEP
XCREATEC ALAN 8600 XCREATEC
EMBEDDED QTEMP _CL_PEP
EMBEDDED QTEMP 1200 EMBEDDED
QSQPRUN QSQL /060A
QSQPMAIN QSYS 9516 QSQPMAIN
QSQRPARS QSYS 4639 QSQRPARS
QSQRPARS QSYS 5286 QUEUP
QSQRPARS QSYS 5321 GETTOKEN
QSQRLEX QSYS /14D5
QSQPLEXQ QSQL /2B0B

Anybody have a suggestion? I'm going to try things with the code
(while keeping a copy of the present code) meantime, people are
waiting for this code. I would still like to know if it's "just
me", or whether anybody else has seen this happen. And maybe know
what to avoid...

Confidentiality Notice: This email may contain confidential
information or information covered under the Privacy Act, 5 USC 552
(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations and must be
protected in accordance with those provisions. It contains
information that is legally privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from use or disclosure. This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a
safe, secure and confidential manner. If you are not the intended
copies of the original message. Thank you.