On 8/19/2014 3:56 PM, Brian Stapleton wrote:
I need to learn how to write XML documents with RPGLE V7R1M0 onto our IFS.

How can I educate myself on doing this?

I would prefer to stay as native RPGLE as possible, and am not looking to purchase a 3rd party solution.

Perhaps a bit of background would help get more focussed advice.

Are you familiar with XML in general and just need a bit of a push on
how to write XML with RPG, or is XML totally new?

Do you have a sample of the XML you need to write? Is it relatively
flat or is it relatively nested?

When you write '3rd party solution' are you OK with open source if it is
free? How about Java or Python?

When you write 'native RPGLE' do you include the C APIs like write() and
read()? Or are you interested strictly in the opcodes that come with
the RPG compiler?

Will you be using the resulting XML as a file transfer mechanism, or
will you be communicating with a web service?

Some links:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp
http://www.scottklement.com/presentations/XML%20From%20RPG%20Using%20Free%20Tools.pdf
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/library/i-using-rpg/index.html

A brute force method would be to construct individual XML tags via
concatenation and write them to a flat file. This works OK as a proof
of concept, but eventually the people who want an XML file from you will
reply with an XML file which you will have to understand. Brute force
will only carry you so far...
--buck