John,

Just one question Would you write a program (1 member) for a single or only
a few statements?
As long as you are working with OPM only I'd expect you'll answer no.
Even though the statement is complex (for example nesting multiple
built-in-functions) you'll copy it or maybe you'll copy the few statements
into a subroutine.
Another approach would be using copy members, even thought I'd expect you'll
not create and use a copy member for a single statement.
If something has to be changed, you need to find all occurrences, revise
them and recompile your programs.

Using the ILE concept you may split all your programs into reusable small
pieces (exported procedures), that are located in multiple service programs
according their functionality, i.e. you may group all string procedures
together, all date time procedures, all insert, update, read, delete
procedures for a single file/table etc.
What you need for exploiting the ILE concepts, is to learn thinking really
modular.
When we started with ILE, I thought we were modular, because all our
programs were split into multiple sub-programs.
Today I get tears into my eyes, if I remember what I interpreted as modular.

Most of our procedures are really small (less than 50 statements with a few
exceptions) and almost all procedures can be called from outside.
In this way we are very flexible and can easily write and modify even very
complex programs.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)