On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for responding to the question, even though it sounds like you're
hesitant to respond to a scenario that won't materialize and take issue
with the vagueness of the hypothetical. Moreover the hypothetical would be
painful.

I don't have any issues with your question. I was just talking
through possible interpretations. I have no idea what seemed hesitant
about my response.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you and Rick would migrate applications from
the "Native Virtual Machine" to the "Java Virtual Machine", if say IBM were
to stop offering an RPG compiler license past 7.1 (again speaking
hypothetically).

No, if they were to stop offering a compiler license past 7.1, then we
would simply stick to 7.1.

If *all* RPG compilers, of every version, were to self-destruct, then
we would migrate. We wouldn't necessarily migrate everything to JVM.
We could well maintain a heterogeneous mix of native and JVM.
iSeriesPython is native, for example (not even PASE).

Contrast that with my response, which would be to continue to develop and
deploy under the Native Virtual Machine, but transform and migrate our RPG
code to another ILE language - probably C.

One issue for us is that our RPG codebase is almost entirely OPM
(though majority RPG IV syntax), so there's not a huge incentive for
us to "stick with" ILE. If we did migrate to ILE, we might pick C or
C++. But I think migrating to Java (or some other JVM language) would
be an easier and more straightforward path for us.

Ultimately, I think most of our database programming would shift to
SQL, so whatever the host language is wouldn't matter too much. I
would think we wouldn't want to learn a multitude of different
languages, though, and Java fits the bill for "general purpose and
reasonably easy to learn" better than any of the ILE languages.

John Y.