But why bother Booth when qsort is available and very easy to use? Admittedly it may look "odd" the first time you use it but since every time you do it the base logic is identical it really is a short learning curve.

On 2014-06-06, at 6:52 PM, Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Field1 would be the sequence number I suppose, and Field2 would be what ever substring he wanted to choose out of UDFNoLists. Or, Field2 could be sequentially numbered at array-load time,. Or some other external sequencing strategy he sees as appropriate.

When one wants users to be able to sort a subfile by columns, ascending & descending , one can create a single sort field and populate that field with a data structure of the fields to be sorted, in order by preference. Its a tad cumbersome, but for load-all subfiles under 2500 records it works, and has great response times.

The sorting subfile example I have on my web site sorts by columns, but only one column at a time. I have done sequencing by the order chosen, but that gets harem-scarum for a yeoman programmer like me.

http://martinvt.com/Subfiles/SFL_Sort/sfl_sort.html