From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Young
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 4:18 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Qualified file names

Thanks David.
I had thought it might be something like that.

Jeff Young
Sr. Programmer Analyst

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM, David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/21/2014 2:48 PM, Jeff Young wrote:
I recently started using data structures for my file IO. I also used
the Qualified keyword on the file definitions. What advantages does
this have if I am not defining the file in a subprocedure or using
it a a parameter?

You don't have to rename the format names anymore ... just use the
<filename>.<formatname> notation.

So a physical and logical over that physical could be included in a
program without renaming the format for one of them.

david

--
IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding a metric century (100 km / 62 miles) in the 2014
Chicagoland Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, and advocacy.
Sponsor me by visiting http://archive.ridewithdavid.com. Any amount is
appreciated.

See where I get my donations from ... visit
http://archive.ridewithdavid.com/mapdonations.php for an interactive map
(it's a geeky thing).
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)