Best regards,

Luis

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet. Please excuse my brevity.
On Feb 13, 2014 7:25 PM, "Jon Paris" <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Comments in-line Luis

On 2014-02-13, at 11:34 AM, Luis Rodriguez <luisro58@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jon,

I have thought about the redbook, but it is such an old version that I'm
reluctant to recommend it. Among other things, I'm a fervent proponent of
/free and things like BIFs and such that I find it very difficult to go
back to old code (And I know about OLD code. I began programming in
RPGabout 1977).

While the code is not /Free (which wasn't available when the Redbook came
out) it was all written in a style that can be directly converted. i.e. No
MOVEs, GOTOs, etc. I can't guarantee that every line of every sample
converts directly - but that was the intent. Most of the BIFs were around
then - a few nice ones have been added but most were in play. I think you
are doing people a disservice by not recommending it.

BTW, I seem to remember a surname of "Paris" in the author's roster list
:-) Don't you have the clout to get IBM bring out a new version of the
book? :-)

We did try - the result in the end were the two redpieces on APIs and
Error Handling. There just isn't the funding for Redbooks in general that
there once was. As Brian said there is new Modernization one on the way -
but it doesn't have the same in-depth teaching approach that the Sorcerer's
guide and redpieces did.

It would be nice to update the original - but I don't see it happening. It
was a massive undertaking - probably 2 man years at least and that's not
counting the time spent by IBM's editors.

Best Regards,

Luis

Luis Rodriguez
IBM Certified Systems Expert -- eServer i5 iSeries
--

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx