On 10/30/2013 10:54 AM, John Yeung wrote:
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Charles MARTIN wrote:
Reflection would help me to build really cool apis.
Is there any way ?

Yeah. Use another language. RPG, even in its most advanced
incarnation, really doesn't make this easy. Possible, of course. But
you're swimming upstream if you're doing it in RPG.

-snip-

If you are a little more adventurous, go with PHP or (iSeries)Python.
PHP has IBM support, but Python is arguably a better language. I
can't speak much to PHP as I don't use it, but the main thing I would
recommend is to not try so hard to take RPG so far out of its comfort
zone.

Good advice. One thing to remember though, is that many of us learnt
RPG by looking at and modifying existing RPG code. There isn't much of
an existing IBM i Python code base for Python beginners to learn from.
The same is true of PHP, but there, at least, the trade magazines have
been publishing examples newbies can follow.

I wish I had more time in the day... I'd love to work on an IBM i Python
wiki.

Charles, I too wish for reflection; tool makers always want more!
Higher on my list is full OPDESC and NULL support. What I really,
really with for is an API that lets me have access to the RPG compiler
token map - the cross reference information on the compiler listing. Oh
the things I could make...
--buck