The answer would depend on what the compiler generated. I would hope that
'if booleanVar' would become a test for '1' and the 'if not booleanVar' a
test for '0' with an appropriate branch. In that case it would be the same
number of instructions. A compiler could reverse (in a variety of ways) the
value of booleanVar in the case of a 'not' and then compare the result to
'1' though I can't imagine why. Likewise a compiler could generate code to
store the booleanVal value in a *DTAARA and then call a RPG program to
return the result of a comparison -- a definite case of "I can't imagine
why" and certainly a code path of many, many instructions.