On 9/20/2013 4:13 PM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
As to standard behavior, the fact that the default for the trim option
is all, suggests that this is normal behavior - unless Barbara is
totally inventing IBM's own way of doing things.

Hi Vern, XML-INTO is indeed IBM's (RPG's anyway) own way of handling XML. XML-INTO sits on top of an XML parser and adds additional function. The default for the trim option isn't based on XML rules, it's based on what we thought RPG programmers would want / expect. I admit that we never considered that someone would want different trimming rules for CTDATA.

But that's what XML-SAX is for. XML-SAX is just an XML parser, so you can handle the data however you want. You'll get a different event for the CDATA data, so you'll know not to trim any blanks from it.