ThanksBirgitta.

    A great solution as well. Not sure why I was making this so difficult.  Too many projects in flight at the same time, I guess.

Jim Minisce

________________________________
From: Birgitta Hauser <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)' <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2013 1:05 AM
Subject: AW: SQL Case Frustration

The concat predicate must be specified outside the CASE clause.
Select orgno concat '-' concat major concat '-' concat

  Case
    When sub < 10 THEN
        right('00' concat Rtrim(SUBSTR(sub,1,3)), 3)
    When sub >= 10 and sub < 100 THEN
        right('0' concat Rtrim(SUBSTR(sub,1,3)), 3)

    Else sub
  End as FullGL,    ....

But why to use a case clause at all?
The following statement should do the same:
Select orgno concat '-' concat major concat '-' concat
      Right('000' concat RTrim(Substr(sub, 1, 3)),  3)
  as FullGL,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)