One other choice he has is to chain to the file, with no K, and chain with RRNX where:
C ADD 1 RRNX
That will get the record, and by definition, its RRN.

This is pretty old code. Are any shops staying with this code style? Its not clear what is the purpose of this exercise. Is it an effort to repair an old, flawed program, to make new code that fits seamlessly with old code, or to show an understanding of a 20 year old technique?

On 11/19/2012 3:25 PM, Paul Therrien wrote:
I seem to recall that you need to override the file to not use record blocking. When you are doing sequential reads from the file the default is to read blocks of records. The RRN will not have accurate values in this scenario.

Paul Therrien
Orion South, Inc.
504-374-9551
800-437-7173; Ext. 551
ptherrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Darryl Freinkel
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 2:44 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: How can I retrieve the RRN of a record in a PF in a RPG3?

I have a need to retrieve the RRN of the record read in a RPG OPM program.
(this is a re-posting).

FWRK959 IF E K DISK

F KINFDS DS

IDS DS

I B 397 4000RRN

C READ WRK959 01

C *IN01 DOWEQ*OFF

C POST WRK959

C Z-ADDRRN RRNX 155

C READ WRK959 01

C ENDDO

C MOVE *ON *INLR

I created a test program (above) and it does not show the RRN, or have an invalid value after the first read. It then shows zero or blanks.

Can anyone help with retrieving the RRN?

Darryl Freinkel | Assignment 400 Group, Inc.

Tel: 770.321.8562 ext 111 | Fax 770.321.8562

E-mail: dfreinkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.assignment400.com