Thanks Gary...I'll take your advice.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Gary Thompson <gthompson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michael,
Maybe you are not paying enough attention to error messages:

SQL0511
Message Text: FOR UPDATE clause not valid.
Cause Text:
The FOR UPDATE clause cannot be used for cursor &1 because the result
table is read only.
The result table is read only if:
1) The select-statement includes the DISTINCT keyword, an aggregate
function, a GROUP
BY clause, a HAVING clause, or a UNION, EXCEPT, or INTERSECT operator.
2) The select-statement contains a VALUES clause.
3) The FROM clause identifies more than one table, more than one view, or
a read-only
view.
4) The FROM clause contains a data change table reference.

Recovery Text: Cursor &1 cannot be updated. Remove the FOR UPDATE clause.

SQL0312
Message Text: Variable &1 not defined or not usable.
Cause Text:
The variable &1 appears in the SQL statement, but one of the following
conditions exists:
1) No declaration for the variable exists or the declaration is not within
the current scope.
2) The attributes are not correct for the use specified.
3) The host variable was specified in dynamic SQL. Host variables are not
valid in dynamic
SQL.
4) In REXX, host variable names cannot contain embedded blanks.
5) The variable name is used in the routine body of an SQL procedure or
function, but the
variable is not declared as an SQL variable or parameter. The scope of
an SQL variable is
the compound statement that contains the declaration.
6) The variable is used in the routine body of an SQL trigger, but the
variable is not
declared as an SQL variable or the variable is an OLD transition
variable and cannot be
modified.
7) The variable is a transition variable in an AFTER trigger and is used
in statement where
the variable could be modified. Modifying transition variables in AFTER
triggers is not
allowed.

Recovery Text:
1) Verify that &1 is spelled correctly in the SQL statement.
2) Verify that the program contains a declaration for that variable. In
RPG, the variable
must be declared globally or in the scope where it is used.
3) Verify that the attributes of the variable are compatible with its use
in the statement.
4) Use parameter markers in dynamic SQL instead of host variables.
5) Remove embedded blanks from REXX host variable names.
6) Declare the variable as an SQL variable or parameter in the SQL
procedure or function.
7) Declare the variable as an SQL variable or specify a NEW transition
variable when the
variable is modified in an SQL trigger.
8) Remove the transition variable from the statement. Copying the
transition variable to a
local variable and then using the local variable in the statement is
also acceptable.

At my end, there are two problems:
1) I am at work
2) I have very little info about what you are doing

So, please try:
1) To read the manual(s)
2) Break the sql statement into something simpler - maybe
just try to fetch the first column or two.