Scott,

if you read the tread it is the Lotus Notes utility that generates HTML
decimal
encoded characters for every character greater the ascII X'7F'

f michael has an original string like this in Lotus Notes

IBM I® – 375,00 € – Patagonia

his Lotus Notes generates ....

IBM I& #174; & #8211; 375,00 & #8364; & #8211; Patagonia

Fit this into UCS-2