Hi Andy,

I like it because it helps encapsulate the logic. You can designate that a particular procedure is responsible for reading a particular file... and not have to worry about other procedures "accidentally" changing the file's cursor, or modifying the contents of one of the variables.

It's all encapsulated into one routine. If the logic behind the routine changes, you only have to worry about changing it in one place. You only have to worry about re-testing that one place, etc. Nothing else is affected.

On the other hand, I've been finding myself doing much, much more of my file logic in SQL, so I haven't used it too terribly much. If you had asked me 5 years ago, I'd say "sure, I'll use that constantly..." but, due to SQL, I only use F-specs (in or out of procedures) when I want to load/write one record at a time, and only when performance is critical. Everything else is SQL.

-SK