From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:00 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Record Lock on Read from IFS file?

On 15 May 2012 11:42, Scott Sanders wrote:

CRPence on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:13 AM wrote:

On 14 May 2012 15:30, Scott Sanders wrote:
Job status sits at TIMW, for as long as I am willing to wait.

That job status reflects a "coded wait", meaning that some code
deliberately has requested to pause the thread, awaiting a timed
event; e.g. sleep() or DlyJob had been issue. So rather than
reviewing the job "status", review the program "stack"; WRKJOB
OPTION(*PGMSTK) to see what code has requested a timed-wait.

That parallels my experience, as well. But I have stepped through
every line of code in these programs in debug, and have not
encountered any deliberate wait.

That is a strange approach, because the program stack could easily
inform. An as-described long-wait should easily be captured in a
WRKJOB OPTION(*PGMSTK). FWiW there was no intention on my part to
imply that the coded wait was in code to which there would be any
source\debug access; i.e. not implied to be /user/ code.

However, I also seem to recall seeing that status appear on a job
retrieving or sending a large file via FTP to a remote system.

I suspect not. More likely DEQW, SELW, or some other non TIMW wait.
But taking an actual WRKJOB OUTPUT(*PRINT) instead of from memory is
helpful to enable referring back.

This lends weight, at least in my mind, to the thought of splitting
the FTP and file processing functions into separate jobs. Not just
separate programs in the same stack.

Of course that, a circumvention, just ignores what is the ailment;
i.e. akin to treating a symptom, but not the addressing the disease or
its preventive(s).

<<SNIP>>

Regards, Chuck