Julian Monypenny made a completely generic file IO service program 15 years ago. It has some problems now, what with the addition of null-capable fields. He basically has 2 F specs - one input-only, the other update-with-add. Different procedures for opening the input vs the update files, using an OVRDBF to point to whichever he needs.

I don't know where it was published or if it's still around somewhere - probably is. Maybe an old code CD from System iNews, since he did a lot of writing for them.

Vern

On 4/4/2012 10:38 AM, Kurt Anderson wrote:
Rory,

Interesting idea on the dual F-specs for the same file. Similarly I'd have to have two files per logical as well, although our files encapsulated by service programs generally suffice on the keyed physical. I'll have to think on that (and when I get time, play with coding it). I think two files wouldn't be too bad to implement into one of our service programs for testing since the newer ones already access a data structure with the Gets and Sets procedures.

Jeff, I suppose that could be a consideration, although I think Rory's idea of using two F-specs might reduce the duplication that 2 service programs would create.

I appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Thanks,
Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rory Hewitt
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:04 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: File Encapsulation Quandary

Kurt,

I assume the problem with #1 is that sometimes you have a file with read-only data that you don't want to have to copy into a test library (since you know you won't be updating it) - is that correct? If so, when does the file open fail - immediately on the OPEN (or implicit open if you're not using USROPN)? I see that the UPDPROD keyword to the STRDBG command specifies this:

"...The exception to this is starting debug mode after a production library is already opened..."

Not sure whether it's possible to bypass this problem by 'opening' the production library (or whether this would simply potentially open you up to other problems.

An option might be to make your *PROD library into a *TEST library (so avoiding the UPDPROD issue altogether) and then include a trigger on your updateable files in that library which prompts the user before attempting any update/add?

As far as #2 goes, would it work to simply have two F-spec definitions of the file, both specifying USROPN and EXTFILE, where one is U/A and one is input-only, and then open and use the correct one depending on the requirements (reading or writing)? A bit of a hassle, but it should work.

Just some top-of-the-head thoughts.....

Rory

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Kurt Anderson