I agree, but if one is going to choose a particular language for learning
or investment purposes, Java is still a strong candidate. In addition to
its high ranking on TIOBE (currently #1), it has a much wider application
than any web scripting language. It can be used not only for web and
enterprise development, but for cross-platform fat and rich client
applications, as well as embedded in devices. And while it may be
displaced by Scala or another language down the line, corporations are not
going to throw away their Java investments any time soon, especially with
the current economy. Java also has huge corporate backing from IBM,
Oracle, Google, VMWare and Red Hat to name a few. Another big point in
its favor is that it is the development language for one of the two
hottest mobile platforms (Android).

In contrast, Objective-C is mostly suitable for native iOS and OS X
applications, but is not used for web or cross-platform development. Apple
currently seems to have little interest in the enterprise beyond device
support. I don't see any focus on providing tools for enterprise
application development like with Java and .NET. Apple dropped their
server hardware and Java-based web framework a while back.

C# is great if one is going the Microsoft route, and I have a great
appreciation for their development tools and frameworks. MS should have a
presence in the enterprise for a long time, but they are floundering on
the mobile front and losing mind share as a result. I am skeptical that
Windows 8 will be enough of a revolution for tablet or mobile computing to
displace iOS or Android. It is a bad sign when Windows Phone 7 is losing
market share. I recently read that in Q4 2011 2.5 Windows 7 Phone devices
were sold (1.6%, a 14% decline from Q4 2010) as contrasted with 37 million
iPhones (23.4%) and 81.9 million Android phones (51.6%). Maybe that will
begin to turn around in 2012, but Apple and Google are not going to remain
idle. Plus, while C# can be used for mobile development, it is not the
primary language as WinRT is apparently an unmanaged, C/C++-based API.

In any event, Java still seems like a safe investment. Likewise, I think
RPG is a safe investment given that IBM is doing well and like Apple,
increasing market share with Power Systems and IBM i in a bad economy. I
won't rehash that, though, for the sake of the member's on the list...

Blake

date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 06:11:06 -0600
from: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Is RPG dying