I was not referring to running a server farm and hosting anything my customers wanted to run. I was talking about hosting an ERP application (or a suite or apps) that I developed. I don't want to manage the hardware in that case. I want the hardware to just be there and be scalable and be reliable with as few sysadmins as I needed. I would put all my resources into programmers and end user support staff.

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of john e
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 8:49 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Is RPG dying

AS/400 (IBM i) is a proprietary system, it is designed to be run without attendance, and is vertically scalable.

This is much different than what is needed in "the cloud". Yes you need scalability, endless scalability, i.e. horizontal and not vertical.

If you start a cloud business, would you REALLY go for "the i"....? I mean, all costs considered. Because you really don't want to pay for a system which is designed to run without operator / sys-admin. I mean, if you start a clouyd business then managing the technical infrastructure is your core competence. You can do that much cheaper using Linux boxes.

The business case for AS/400 is not to be used as a cloud platform (EBCDIC anybody?).

If managing the IT infrastructure is your core business you don't pay IBM lots of cash to do it for you (i.e. lease an AS/400). You CAN make a cluster of Linux boxes just as resilient (or even more) than an AS/400. But it takes expertise, and work, which you don't want in a normal business setting. There you want an AS/400. AS/400 is out-of-the-box scalability and stability. No expertise needed.