On Jan 18, 2012, at 1:00 PM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I thus tried this work around and I accept you comments. Prior to the
recompile with version 6 the program worked and even if I have simply
moved the problem elsewhere it works now and will buy some time such
that we can address the problem without a major production issue around
our necks.

You had better hope then that you haven't moved the problem to a point where it will corrupt the database. Which is quite possible. Once saw a history table badly roasted by this kind of error because a total column was being overwritten just prior to an update operation.

Just out of interest have you any tips on how we might find this
problem. I suspect a pointer management error in a downline program from
the one that falls over on a write instruction. In the log the line in
error is a endsr which has nothing to do with the write that falls over.

Since we haven't seen your code in detail we really can't comment on the pointer manipulation aspects, often though if the error is of that type, it is easily spotted because you wouldn't be seeing the data you were expecting. I'll repeat what I said earlier - there is a very high probability that the cause is parameter definition mis-match.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com