It does but you need a different one for every file you want to check.
It would be very easy to set up a template DS for the INDS and then
LIKEREC for each INFDS attached to a file.

FWdbapvbb1 IF E K Disk Usropn
Extfile(Extfile_apvbb1)
F Infds(Infds_apvbb1)

D Infds_template DS
D THEFILE 1 8A
D OPEN_IND 9 9N
D EOF_IND 10 10N
D THESTATUS 11 15S 0
D THEOPCODE 16 21A
D THEROUTINE 22 29A
D LIST_NUM 30 37A
D THERECORD 38 45A
D MSGID 46 52A

D Infds_apvbb1 DS Likeds(Infds_template)

Look for status of 00011 or 00012

The above aids in knowing what a file operation completed as without
needing to assign the file operation to a named indictor (to every line
of file I/O) or heaven forbid a numeric indicator (because someone will
believe they can use that "already existing" variable can be used to
control logic elsewhere).

If does not fix the issue mentioned being allowed to alter the condition
of a loop using a file I/O bif, which would require the use of a named
indicator like EOF. When i know I am writing I/O logic that is based
on one of multiple files then I will set a named indicator to the value
of the I/O bif right afterwards.

Thanks, Matt