I agree absolutely about the self documenting. The rest I was just
commenting on.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Luis Rodriguez <luisro58@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alan,

I didn't want to appear as saying that it was a RPG advantage over SQL.
Just
saw Åke's post as two different items: The record lock part (which I did
not
address) and the part regarding to the ability of update just some fields
and not others, which is the part I wrote about.

That being said, almost all of my record processing is done nowadays with
SQL. There are still (at least for our shop) some things that can be done a
little faster with RLA but, as I said before, SQL's syntax is a big plus in
terms of explaining what one wants to do, making for better
"self-documenting" code. That, of course, in addition of the many other
advantages we have seen on this thread.

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez