Gary,

I've been using Scott Klement's JDBC routines for a while now, retrieving
data from an SAP server running Oracle. It is really easy to use, even for,
I suppose, "legacy" programmers (in fact, regarding to age I could consider
myself a legacy programmer although not, I hope, regarding my use of our
i5's tools).

It is not very fast, but adequate. Just try to avoid using a lot of fields
in your SELECT/UPDATE statements...

Also, there is a frequent "poster" in these forums, Dieter Bender, who has a
nice (free!!) utility that allows you to connect to other JDBC compliant
databases using SQL's CONNECT TO statement (eg., from a STRSQL session). I
have found it a very nice addition to my toolbox, as it allows a quick and
easy access to tables located in the remote DB.

The URL for Dieter's utility is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/appserver4rpg/

His homepage (in German), can be found here:
http://www.bender-dv.de/

HTH,
Luis Rodriguez