I want to say 'Thank you' to Michael, Buck, Alan, Mike, Jon and Vern for
responding to: JDBC vs DB2 Connect. I have archived your

Yesterday:
installed Microsoft JDBC driver sqljdbc4.jar on System i V7R1M0
installed Scott Klement's JDBCR4 service program
modified and ran Jon Juracich's MSSQLTEST program:
job log shows CPF9897 - "Unable to connect."
pgm: JDBCR4 proc: DRIVER_CONNPROP stmt: 87000
Attempts with two other MS Sql accounts show identical job log
errors.
seems system i program side works as designed...

Created a Windows Data Source for all user ids and do connect.

Now, in MS Sql Log file:

Login failed for user 'gthompson'.[CLIENT: 111.22.33.444]
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 5.

Attempts with two other MS Sql accounts receive similar sql log
errors.

MSDN documentation for MSSQLSERVER_18456 shows:
State 5 - "User ID is not valid."

I have not worked with Sql Server for years, but it seems
the problem is within Sql Server and we are currently
working with that assumption......