The topics that dominate this forum at present are:

1. Management has decided to dump the IBM i and buy some shiny new windoze package that we all know will cost more and be a disaster
2. I'm happy with my OPM code because although I don't use or fully understand ILE I'm going to guess that my implementation of modular design is better than IBM's so there's no point upgrading my skills to embrace ILE
3. My colleagues are killing me because they just wont upgrade their skills to embrace ILE and they are holding me back

I'm wondering if there is a link between the three :-)

My $0.02 FWIW

If management allow a developer pool to stagnate then they deserve what they get!
If a developer refuses to continually upgrade their skills they deserve what they get!

I really feel for the developers at the vanguard (even though its been over 12 years since ILE was launched) because all they are really trying to do is use the best tools available. Lack of support from management is ultimately the reason for all of this. I blame the parents. :-)

The ultimate loser of course is the business. They trust IT management to make the right decisions.

Of all the companies I've worked for the ones where management fully embrace ILE and support the developers in enhancing their skills have supported their business best. I have been that lone developer fighting to get WDSCi loaded onto my PC, fighting for permission to write in /free, fighting to be allowed to use service programs, etc... It is tiring and frustrating for everybody involved. That particular company announced they was dumping the system i (as it was then) just as I was leaving the UK to move to Australia. At that point I was the only one who really understood ILE and used WDSCi. I got myself IBM Certified (at my own cost) and I got a job straight away - they're all good skills to have apparently. :-)

Now Im in a position to influence such things. Management here are light-years away from my last shop. Our shop standards mandate ILE and RDPi and /free. We provide 10 days a year for each developer for professional development. They are encouraged to think outside the box and put forward proposals for blue-sky research which may or may not work. The point is to push the boundaries. We (IT and the business) have had some fantastic unexpected wins from this!

We went through a process of adjustment but even the die-hards wouldn't go back now. We are at the cutting edge in our use of ILE and have been for several years. Honestly, you just wouldn't believe what you can do with this stuff when you have 20+ developers all using ILE, all pushing the boundaries, all enjoying their job!

There is another way!

Cheers

Larry Ducie