On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Richard Schoen
<richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Have you ever thought of purchasing your own laptop or desktop computer ?

For $400 you can invest in your own career and productivity even if your company won't.

I appreciate the sentiment, and the thought has crossed my mind. But
it wouldn't fly at my company. I'm not sure they would even give me
permission to bring my own machine to work, first of all. If they
did, they would insist on installing all the company-mandated junk on
it, and they would have to do the network configuration, etc. Then,
even if all of that worked out, there is the whole
politics/appearances issue. I don't want to be seen as "disruptive"
or "not a team player", etc.

Maybe the best thing would be for me to get out entirely, with such an
unsupportive environment; but with a mortgage and other obligations, I
just don't have the balls for it.

I do try to enhance my own productivity at work by using Python where
I can. (This was received well at work because it was (a) free, and
(b) provided an instant and visible increase in capabilities to our
AS/400.)

And I keep mentioning Python on these lists because I feel it is
underexposed. These lists seem to have much greater readership and
activity than (for example) Stack Overflow (regarding IBM-related
topics) or the forum on the iSeries Python site itself. I'm not
trying to sell anything. It's not my product, it's free, and I truly
believe it would be a great asset to almost any i shop out there. And
if it gained wider adoption in the i community, it would help bridge
the "generation gap" to younger programmers and newer technologies.

John