I was coding a Data Structure, and the Overlay's *next option did not work as I expected it to. I have to assume it's working as designed, but I wanted to mention what I encountered and see what others thought.

Essentially, I had (wrongly) thought that once you specify an Overlay with a position number, that any *next that follows will be based on that position. Why? Because that's how it works when the first Overlay specifies a position.

The code that doesn't work:
D ds_example DS Qualified
D Geo 12a
D State 2s 0 Overlay( Geo: 1 )
D County 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next ) //starts in position 3 of Geo
D City 4s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next )
D Filler1 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next )
D Npa 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: 1 )
D Nxx 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next ) //expected to start in position 3, however ---> Error, Geo not large enough.
D Filler2 6a Overlay( Geo: *next )

The code that does work:
D ds_example DS Qualified Static
D Geo 12a
D State 2s 0 Overlay( Geo: 1 )
D County 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next )
D City 4s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next )
D Filler1 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: *next )
D Npa 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: 1 )
D Nxx 3s 0 Overlay( Geo: 4 )
D Filler2 6a Overlay( Geo: 7 )

This is only the beginning of the data structure. There is actually more overlaying going on afterward as well.

Thanks,

Kurt Anderson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
CustomCall Data Systems