I always thought it stood for Ryan Programs Great.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Monnier, Gary <Gary.Monnier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ake,

I don't think the name needs to be change but what the acronym RPG stands for might.  How about Really Pretty Good or Reliable Program Generation?

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Åke Olsson
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:52 AM
To: 'rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Should the "RPG" language be renamed and to what?

There have been discussions from time to time as to whether the RPG programming language should be renamed to something slightly more in tune with time or not.

Surely, when you spell it out as "Report Program Generator"  it does not only give you a false perception of all the great things you can do with it (and definitely not hint at all the wonderfully advanced features we now have) but also bring up images of quaint  rulers needed to interpret compiler printouts, dusty coding sheet pads and maybe even the odd punched card.

I have sometimes have youngsters show a slight interest in my work at first, but when they find out that it is not any sort of games programming that I do they shy away.

Here we also happen to haven an organization called "RPG" which is a social club for elderly retired people. Not hip at all.

So:  Should the name be changed or should't it? And to what?

Hint to IBM:ers - A contest could be in place here!

Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

Åke H Olsson
[cid:image001.png@01CA1FE6.387A03A0]
Box 433   SE 551 16  Jönköping   Sweden   visit: Brunnsgatan 11
phone: +46 (0)36 342976   mobile: +46 (0)705 482976 fax: +46 (0)36 34 29 29
ake.olsson@xxxxxx<mailto:ake.olsson@xxxxxx>    www.pdb.se