I have developed standard software since 1983 and if i look at overall
revenues, licenses is about 5-10%, the rest is maintenance fees and
consulting. Open Source may be free, but most comes with another business
model.

Let’s take Sencha and Ext JS as an example, if they can squeeze 100$ out of
half their current users (500.000) they have a pretty good businesses case,
do the same calculation on CGIDEV2 – you do not need to be Einstein to
figure out that CGIDEV2 would have been a pretty good business if it had
come with a 100$ yearly maintenance/membership fee – and what is 100$ for
IBM I shop?

Oh you need a special style, a special program, education, support? – today
the way to the cash register is endless – the trick is to get the customer
inside your shop because outside he isn’t worth a penny.

Let make this hypothetical scenario, powerEXT became a success used by 2000+
IBM I installations around the world, RJS Software became a full partner on
the powerEXT project – what would it generate of other business
opportunities for both partners?

THINK – globally