From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:07 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: handling handlers in RPG OA

Crispin

I believe Jon's printer file example here is about producing a browser
page from a printer file, not printing the result. The ability to either
have it be printed through some OUTQ or to display in a browser - that
is interesting.

The question of overriding the processing, selecting at run-time which
processing stream will be used, was discussed a lot in early meetings
about OAR. It would not be practical, probably, to compile the
developer's program to use the handler OR standard native RPG IO - and
I'm not talking just 5250 - printing does not use 5250, nor does
database IO. Various vendors - there are not many yet! - have solved
this is different ways, I believe. You had some replies on the thread to
which you refer from one of them.

So we move forward. This is an intriguing and beguiling and frustrating
new technology. So what else is new with innovation?

;-)

Vern