From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:48 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Socket Recv Question

Michael,

If you are in blocking mode (the default) and you call the recv() API,
the system won't return control back to your program until there's data
to return. This is referred to as "blocking." The term "blocking"
essentially means that the OS has stopped execution of your program,
waiting for some event to occur.

If you put the socket in non-blocking mode, it won't ever wait. If
there's data available at the instant when you call recv(), you'll get
it. If there isn't any data, you'll get back control immediately, but
recv() will return <1, and errno=EWOULDBLOCK. (Or, EAGAIN, which means
the same thing.)

If you want to call recv() and have it wait for data, but time-out after

a period of time if no data arrives, then you might appreciate this
article:
http://systeminetwork.com/article/timeouts-sockets-0

For the type of application you're writing, you might consider
refactoring it into an event-driven model. The main loop would look
somethhing like this:

socket()
connect()

dow connected;
FD_ZERO(readset);
FD_ZERO(writeset);
FD_SET(mysock: readset);
if (theres_data_to_write);
FD_SET(mysock: writeset);
endif;
n = select( mysock+1
: %addr(readset)
: %addr(writeset)
: *null
: *null );
if (n < 1);
// handle error
endif;
if FD_ISSET(mysock: readset);
recv();
// if error, set connected=0
call program_logic();
endif;
if FD_ISSET(mysock: writeset);
send();
// if error, set connected=0
endif;
enddo;

The idea is that your program is constantly trying to send/receive data
from the host. When your main program logic has data to send, it puts it

in the send buffer, and the main loop takes care of the actual sending.

When data is received, your main loop receives the data into a buffer.
Then calls your program's logic.

What I mean by "event driven" is that your program logic is only called
when something happens. (As coded above, it'd only be called when new
data appears on the wire. But you could easily change this to have it
called on a particular time interval even if no data is received.)

Your code would be designed to do whatever it needs to do without
stopping, and then return control back to the main loop. Maybe you scan
for the string you're looking for... and if found, process it... but
then go back to the main loop. You never get hung up waiting for data,
you just look for data you need, and if it's not there, you go back to
waiting.

Not sure if that fits your scenario or not, but sounds like it would.
Aside from a scenario like this, I can't think of any situation where
you wouldn't know when your "command" is finished!