As far as the PDM 54/55 options... never used them. But I imagine it
would be not as nice since you can only see a limited number of lines.

I haven't tried to do any saving back to the system, so I'll have to set
something up to test that.

As far as source change dates go... once again I've never had a need for
them, so for me this is a non issue.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/02/2011 12:14 PM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Great McPress article today on setting up Compare/Merge on PC for IBM
i source members.

Good article, yet I have some caveats and thoughts.

1. Michael Sansoterra does not mention option 55 in PDM - he does
compare WinMerge, the utility in question, to option 54, which is only a
compare. 55 is the merge, and it has the split-SEU screen. It has many
of the "advantages" Michael presents for the WinMerge app, such as
seeing the differences on the same screen, being able to move between
changes, all that.

He also mentions using the /QSYS.LIB/YOURLIB.LIB path for getting
members into the tool. I have had problems in the past with editing
source in, say TextPad, going through a mapped drive directly to a
source file. Sometimes, when saving it back, it cleaned out the source
member completely. This was NOT a nice thing to have happen. So I've
never gone this route, say, in the last 8 years. I much prefer the safer
route of WDSC/RDi/RDP.

Another possible problem with something like WinMerge will be source
change dates - I know that the SoftLanding plug-in changes all those
dates when you merge even one change - and I think you have to
copy/paste to get the change made - I've not done it for quite a while.
Some could say that this change date is less important now, maybe it
isn't. I still like having it, since there isn't a diff tool or SVN-ish
thing for library-based source members.

Last word or words - BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Vern