Others may have a different opinion on this...

My immediate take is that you should explicitly specify the field or fields that you want to update. Either use O specs, or on more recent RPG versions you can specify the fields on the update opcode.

Updating all the fields in a record is the easy way to code, but IMHO, as a program gets more complex, it can make maintenance a whole lot more time consuming and error prone.

Sam